1-14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tablespoon butter + extra for buttering the dish
1 lb. dark chocolate chips/chunks
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup crushed Red Bird Peppermint Puffs or Sticks
- Grease an 8″ x 8″ or 8″ x 11″ baking dish and set aside.
- Place a medium sauce pot over medium heat with 2 inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the top – making sure the glass doesn’t touch the water
- Pour the condensed milk and butter in the bowl and heat
- Add the chocolate chips and salt in the bowl. Stir the chocolate and watch as it melts and thickens (about 5 minutes)
- The mixture should thicken to a THICK cake batter consistency – almost too thick to pour
- Add vanilla extract and 1 cup of crushed peppermint candy and mix well
- Pour the mixture into the dish. Gently tap the dish on the counter for at least a minute to allow air bubbles to rise to the surface and to smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle the remaining crushed peppermint candy over the top and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, maybe longer, to set.
- To cut, dip a sharp knife in hot tap water, wipe and cut quickly. Dip and wipe the knife between cuts. Cut into 1 inch squares.